Hinges are an essential part of the door hardware or lid that allows the opening and closing of doors. Hinge comprises of two metal plates that are attached together with a removable pin. The metal plates are fixed to the door and door jamb with screws. Hinges are designed to hold the door securely to the door jamb and allow it to swing open and closed.
Hinges are available in various designs and styles to complement the door furniture. Available in variety of options and finishes, hinges can be installed both on the interior as well as exterior doors. Hinges are either surface mounted or recesses (mounted). They can be either right-handed or left-handed.
A wide variety of metals and metal alloys are used for casting hinges. Some of the commonly used materials are:
- Stainless Steel
- Cast Iron
In order to enhance their look and prevent them from tarnishing, hinges are given various finishes. To name a few, polished brass finish, satin chrome finish, antique nickel finish, oil rubbed bronze finish are some of the finishes available in door hinges.
Door hinges are available in various sizes and shapes. They can have either round corner or square corners.
Types of Hinges
Door Hinges are basically of the following types: Ball Bearing Hinges
- Butt Hinges
- Butterfly Hinges
- Continuous Hinges
- Flush Hinges
- Invisible/ Concealed Hinges
- Latch Hinges
- Mortise Hinges
- Offset Hinges
- Pivot Hinges
- Plain Bearing Hinges
- Screen/ Storm Door Hinges
- Spring Hinges
- Strap Hinges
- Wide Throw Butt Hinges
The hinge size should be the main consideration while buying hinges. The size of the hinges depend upon the following parameters:
- Door Height
- Door Weight
- Door Width
- Door Thickness
- Trim Dimension Required
- Knowledge of the exact radius corner is also very important while buying hinges for doors and windows.
While replacing an old door with a new one, the installation of hinges is a key step in the process. Some of the common installation tips include:
- Surface-mounted hinges are mounted on the surface of the pieces being hinged. On the other hand, recessed hinges require the removal of wood to allow the hinge to be mortised into the wood. Also there are some hinges that are a combination of hinge types. In this case, one leaf is surface-mounted while other is mortised or recessed.
- Apart from the type of hinge being used, accurate measurements are also a must. This requires the careful measurement of all dimensions.
- Clearance is yet another important step to be taken care of while installing hinges. Proper clearance should be allowed between surfaces, such as the door or lids and frames. These clearances prevent dragging, binding or a sloppy fit.
- Using proper tools and techniques are also very important for installing hinges on a door.
It is virtually impossible to think door without hinges. They are an essential door hardware that allows opening and closing of the door. Hinges hold the door in a secure manner to the door jamb which aid in opening and closing of the door. The types, materials, and designs in which the hinges come are many. Due to the availability of such a vast variety of hinges buyers get confused as to what type of hinges they should purchase.
You should select the door hinges keeping following points in mind:
- Before selecting you should be clear that for what type of doors you are purchasing the hinges. This is because that for different types of doors different types of hinges are suitable. For example for low frequency doors, Plain bearing hinges should be used, for flush doors butterfly hinges should be used ad for heavy doors ball bearing hinges are more suitable.
- It is advisable that you should know the exact radius corner while buying hinges for doors and windows. Their can be different corner hinges like Radius corner Hinges, Square corner Hinges, Rounded Corner hinges etc.
- The materials in which they come are many hence, they should be choosen on the basis of their durability and their resistance to corrosion.
- The other most important things that should be looked into is the size of the hinges. Selection of the size of the hinges should depend, on following aspects: Height and weight of the door, Trim dimension, width of the door and the thickness of the door.
- Hinges are not only functional but are also a beautiful piece of art hence choose the hinges that goes best to the finishes of your door.