Split ACs are becoming a popular choice in most homes these days. Their sleek exterior, flexibility in mounting locations, as well as quiet performance has found many a fan. Previously split AC was an appliance for office or a Rich man’s gadget but today, it has found its way into the smaller middle class homes as well. Depending on the size of your room and the number of people occupying it you can decide on the tonnage capacity of the split.
Here are some Key factors to be considered before buying investing in a split AC.
You may already have a budget in mind as to how much you would like to spend. Split Air Conditioners range between Rs 14,500 to Rs 2,75,000. The size and features affect the price.
TYPE OF SPLIT AC
These are also known as high wall mounted. This is mainly used in rooms where the ducts cannot be concealed, and is generally preferred for small rooms where it is easy to cool the air uniformly. Wall mounted split ACs start from Rs 14,500 onwards.
Floor Mounted also known as tower or vertical split ACs are generally used when you do not have space or do not want to mount an AC in your wall. Floor mounted splits start from Rs 32,000 onwards.
Ceiling mounted ACs also known as Cassette type split air conditioners cool the room uniformly from their vantage point at the ceiling. These are useful if you don’t have space for a wall mounted or a floor mounted air conditioner. Prices for these start from Rs 55,000 onwards
The cooling capacity defines the price of a split air conditioner. Most air conditioners are rated in BTU per hour (British Thermal Unit) or by tonnage. One ton is equal to 12,000 BTU per hour. The cooling capacity that you need would depend on factors such as:
Average ambient temperature: Higher the average temperature of the outside air in the area where your house is located, the more will be the cooling capacity required.
Size of the room: The cooling capacity required is proportional to the area of the room you wish to cool. Number of people present: The cooling capacity of an air conditioner also depends on the number of people present in the room. The more the people present, the higher will be the capacity required. Exposure: Direct exposure of any of the walls of your room to sunlight would lead to higher requirement in cooling capacity.
Proximity of your room to kitchen: If the room is nearer to the kitchen the cooling capacity required would be higher.
Split Air Conditioner Buying Guide
|Rooms Size (Sq ft)||Tonnage Capacity|
|Up to 90 sq ft||0.8 Ton|
|Up to 120 sq ft||1.0 Ton|
|Up to 180 sq ft||1.5 Ton|
|Up to 220 sq ft||2.0 Ton|
|Split AC – Compare India|
|eProdz (Only for registered users)|
TYPES OF COMPRESSORS
The compressor is the air conditioner’s most important component and is often called the heart of the refrigeration system. It helps in the cooling process, by circulating the refrigerant through all the refrigeration parts. There are three types of compressors, any one of which can be used in a split AC – reciprocating, rotary and scroll.
– It compresses the air by sliding the piston over the cylinder. Air conditioners fitted with a reciprocating compressor are generally less expensive and not as efficient or silent as the ones fitted with a rotary compressor.
– This is a superior type of a compressor over the conventional reciprocating type. It compresses air by centrifugal action of high-speed impeller in a confined space. This method reduces the loss in pressure of the refrigerator gas. Rotary compressors are more efficient and silent.
– Rotary technology, though dominant in the Asian market for close to three decades due to its low cost, is new to India. Scroll compressors have a wide operating voltage, economical running and low sound and vibration as compared to reciprocating and rotary compressors Rotary and Scroll compressors are not repairable once the failure occurs out of warranty period. Reciprocating compressors are repairable – mostly by respective compressor manufacturers in India.
Anti corrosion body
– The body of the air conditioner is coated with a chemical to minimize corrosion. This extends the life of the body of the split air conditioner.
– In case of a power failure, the user has to reset and programme all the cooling functions and features that he originally had. An air conditioner with the auto restart facility starts automatically and restores the original settings when the power is restored. If you live in an area that has constant power cuts, you would prefer having this feature.
– It absorbs the smell and odour generating particles like tobacco smoke, etc from the room. It helps to keep the room odour-free thus keeping the air fresh.
– It generates an electrostatic field and thus attracts and cleans the air by removing dust particles. It will extend the life of your air conditioner because the important parts, like the blower assembly, the cooling coil, and other inner parts, will stay cleaner, operate more efficiently and last longer. Your family and you will enjoy breathing much healthier indoor air.
– Saves you the bother of getting up and adjusting controls. Also useful if your AC is at a height.Sensors which can monitior room temperature can be located in the remote control unit.
– To set the exact time when the air conditioner should switch off or on. This is useful in maintaining the room temperature, particularly at night. These are just a few factors that you could consider while buying a split air conditioner. Go here for the latest split ACs in the market.